Business License

The City of Mount Vernon requires a business license if doing business within city limits.

The City is participating in a joint licensing program with the State of Washington Department of Revenue (DOR) Business Licensing Service (BLS). The business owner can obtain both the state and local license in one transaction.

Apply for a City Business License:
State of Washington, Business Licensing Service or call: 360-705-6741

Home Based Business
Apply for a Home Occupation Permit through Development Services (360) 336-6214 located at:
City Hall
910 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273

Day Care Providers

Obtain Certification from:
900 E. College Way
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph: (360) 416-7205

Obtain a Home Occupation Permit from Development Services. Contact Development Services at (360) 336-6214).

Other Important Information

 Don't Forget

Collect and remit sales tax to the State of Washington to the credit of Mount Vernon. The Location code for Mount Vernon is 2907

The local sales tax rate became 8.7% as of April 1, 2017.

Sales Tax is distributed to the following entities:

6.5% State of Washington
0.85% City of Mount Vernon
0.15% Skagit County
0.20% Mount Vernon Transportation Benefit District - effective 4/1/17
0.30% Public Safety - Jail
0.40% Public Transit
0.10% Criminal Justice Ta
0.10% Skagit 911
0.10% Skagit County Mental Health