Welcome to the City of Mount Vernon, Washington! Our city has a firm belief that our municipal government will be a model of success - committed to a pragmatic vision for those who choose to create a life here.
You can be proud of your City Hall.
We are a mission-driven organization. We are committed to provide the most effective and efficient basic services and work with our community in a respectful and collaborative manner.
About Mayor Jill
Mayor Jill Boudreau began her first term on January 1, 2012 and second term on January 1, 2016. She is committed to a municipal government that is efficient, adaptable, dignified, and inclusive. She brings creative energy to City Hall, and has significantly raised the level of community engagement in the City of Mount Vernon.
Her skill in communication was developed over time by adapting to frequent relocations and jobs as a military spouse, the experience of living overseas, as a Community Service Officer with the Mount Vernon Police, and being a volunteer mediator.
Comfort with "change" has been a critical part of her success in marriage, parenting, and career.
The City of Mount Vernon is a code city and a Mayor/Council form of government. The Mayor is the chief executive and administrative officer for the City of Mount Vernon and oversees and manages all operations including: Finance, City Attorney, Information Services, Human Resources, Development Services, Library, Public Works, Parks and Enrichment Services, Police and Fire Department. This includes a City staff of 202 full time employees, 56 part time/seasonal employees, and a total City budget of $59 million.
Some of Mayor Boudreau's accomplishment to date include:
- Directed and facilitated the development and adoption of the City’s five-year strategic plan with Department Directors and City Council
- Refocused the City’s standards of service and community engagement activities
- Led in the development of “First Impressions” initiatives establishing focus on visible areas of the City – doubled the public art installations citywide
- Assembled and facilitated a City team to design and launch a new City website with increased transparency and resident engagement (2012) and mobile friendly (2017).
- Generated innovative economic development initiatives utilizing public and private partnerships of effort and resources including the establishment of the Skagit Innovative Partnership Zone, founding membership with Next Century Cities, and 300% expansion of fiber optic hookups within the City
- Instituted mandatory employee coaching and performance evaluations, increased employee training by 100%
- Proposed and implemented new technology services including parks reservation software, general facilities management software, development services software, online payroll services, mobile applications in library services, and monthly City Hall newsletters
- Established the City’s regional leadership in Countywide issues by active participation and facilitation in the public safety facility advisory group, emergency medical services study group, re-organization of 911 service funding model, and reorganization of the Department of Emergency Services.
- Effectively steered multi-jurisdictional board as chair of Skagit Transit, Skagit Council of Governments (SCOG), SCOG Transportation Policy Board, and Vice Chair of Skagit 911
- Planned and implemented a successful community education program of transportation projects and need within the City – leading to passage of sales tax increase ballot measure to increase transportation projects by $1.6 million annually
- Provided clear leadership during crisis situations: Skagit River Bridge Collapse, police critical incidents, complex personnel issues including terminations and discipline
Mayor Boudreau holds a Bachelor of Science Degree, Business Management; Masters in Business Administration; and Advanced Certificate of Municipal Leadership, Association of Washington Cities
Her deep commitment to service has resulted in the following recognitions:
- SR 530 Landslide Commission, appointed by Governor Jay Inslee
- Association of Washington Cities, All-Star Advocacy Award
- Association of Washington Cities, Community Engagement Award
- Mount Vernon Police Organizational Contribution Award