This free service is offered to residents who live within Mount Vernon City limits who are planning to be away from their home on vacation. It's intended for trips of no more than thirty days, however, if resources and ability allows, arrangements for longer time frames can be made.
While you're away, MVPV (Mount Vernon Police Volunteers) will inspect your home and if they discover suspicious or criminal activities immediately contact the Police Department. MVPV work in pairs and drive an unmarked patrol car. Inspection coverage is based on volunteer availability and most contribute approximately two hours, one day a week.
Before You Leave
1. Stop your mail AND newspapers or have someone scheduled to pick them up.
2. Check that security alarms are working properly.
3. Let your neighbors know how long you will be away.
4. Identify a LOCAL emergency contact.
5. Provide your neighbor or emergency contact a key, alarm codes and information police might need.
6. Leave a light, radio and/or television on a timer.
7. Secure your doors and windows (locks, slide blocks, etc.)
8. Back-up your computer information & store a copy away from the home.
9. Remove guns, jewelry, or heirlooms to a secure location.
10. Make sure your homeowners insurance is up to date.