Permitting & Licensing
Whether you are opening a business, expanding, or moving to a new location in Mount Vernon, the staff in the city's Development Services Department will work closely with you to cut through red tape and help you navigate through the permitting and regulatory process.
All businesses within the city limits are required to obtain a city business license prior to engaging in business. City business licenses are issued by the city's Finance Department.
The city is committed to exceptionally efficient and streamlined service. We offer:
- Online permit application & submittal for many permits through SmartGov
- Online plan review through SmartGov
- Dependable technical information and practical solutions
- Our services are predictable, efficient, and understandable
Permit Timelines as Follows
- Mechanical, Plumbing, Solar System, and Sign Permits within 1-2 weeks
- Tenant Improvements, Change of Use, Single-Family Residential and Duplex Permits within 2-4 weeks
- Commercial, Multi-Family and Mixed Use Permits within 4-6 weeks
- Commercial civil and building plan review within 2-4 weeks
- Minor land use permit review within 4-6 weeks
- Major land use permit review within 12 -16 weeks
Following are hyperlinks to useful information when getting permits in the city. If you have questions or need additional information don't hesitate to contact our Development Services Department at: (360) 336-6214 or email@example.com